Travel Requirements

Traveling on behalf of a University of Iowa student organization comes with following many policies (III.Student Organizations; B.; Section V.)

For each trip, complete a required Travel Prior Approval form. Submit completed form at least two weeks before travel date. Based on the information you provide on this form, the Student Organization Business Office (SOBO, 132 IMU) will know which additional travel paperwork will need to be completed. A complete list of travelers should be submitted prior to departure date. If this list is unknown 2 weeks prior to travel date (when this form is due), it can be submitted later.

A SOBO credit card can be used for travel expenses prior to travel but cannot be taken on the trip.

  • Remember to keep all itemized receipts if you will be seeking reimbursement after the trip. Proof of lodging, attendance or itinerary, and transportation will be required for all travel reimbursements. Complete a travel expense voucher after the trip for reimbursement. Travel Expense Vouchers must be submitted to SOBO within 90 days after the travel dates.

For more information, contact Student Organization Business Office (132 IMU) at (319) 365-3065 or

More topics: